Students with Temporary Disabilities

Temporary disabilities may include extended illnesses, concussions, broken limbs, and short-term impairments resulting from injuries, surgeries, or medical procedures.

    Campus Resources for Students with Temporary Disabilities

  • Office of Academic Advising
    • The Associate Dean for Academic Advising, or another member from the OAA, can serve as a liaison with your faculty members regarding absence due to a temporary disability.
    • OAA in 125 Reynolda Hall, 336-758-3320
  • Student Health Service
    • Documentation of a temporary medical need, injury, or accident, should be submitted to Student Health Service (if treated at an outside facility).
    • Follow up with Student Health Service regarding options for transportation and the possibility of missing classes.
    • A motorized scooter is available on a first-come, first-served basis for students with temporary physical disabilities. The scooter is loaned to students at their own risk for a period of two weeks at a time. A refundable deposit and nominal usage fee are required to use the scooter.
    • Student Health Service in George C. Mackie Health Center, 336-758-5218
  • Center for Learning, Access, and Student Success
    • CLASS can assist with academic accommodations, including proctoring of exams, scribing, note-taking, assistive technology, or providing extended time on tests and exams.
    • A meeting with a CLASS staff member may be necessary so that an appropriate letter of support can be provided to your faculty member denoting the accommodation needed.
    • Assistance with route accessibility on campus.
    • CLASS in 118 Reynolda Hall, 336-758-5929
  • Residence Life and Housing
    • RL&H can assist with temporary and accessible housing accommodations, as space permits.
    • Residence Life and Housing in Angelou Hall, 336-758-5185
  • Parking and Transportation
    • Temporary parking on campus is made available for students who have presented a medical need to Student Health Services.
    • Students who need permanent, accessible parking should contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in their home state to obtain appropriate parking decals.
    • Questions about on campus transportation, including shuttle schedules, can be found at here.
    • Parking and Transportation in Alumni Hall, 336-758-7275

This information is also available in our printable Injured at Wake brochure.